Thursday, April 1, 2010

Burned rice.

Second post of the day. I previously said this only happens twice usually: when I've been really productive or when I haven't been productive at all. I need to add a third reason: when something flops.
So Matt's getting home late from work tonight and I wanted to make sure dinner was great for him and that I had everything perfect for when he got home. I wanted potatoes with dinner tonight but Matt really prefers rice - so I made rice. Then I decided to try and learn crocheting again. My mom taught me ages ago, I did it for about a week and then got bored and went back to knitting. Well, I was sitting in my living room with a cup of coffee, my baby sleeping in his playpen and my dog laying at my feet as I'm happily crocheting... and then I smell an awful smell. Burning rice. I jumped up, ran into the kitchen and hoped that it was just a little burned and that the top half could be scraped off and salvaged for our meal. Yah, there was brown poking up through the top. The whole thing was ruined. So I soaked that in cold water to stop it from burning and hoped the smell would go away and I went to make more rice. This time different rice. Coconut rice. Now, to make coconut rice one needs to toast the coconut in the pot before adding the rice and liquids. So I got the coconut toasting and decided that I was going to make the best coconut rice ever - mine was going to be made with coconut milk. So I tried to shake my last jar of coconut milk and of course the lard-like coconut was stuck to the top of the can and it wouldn't mix with the water underneath just by mere shaking. Well, I got a fork out and started mixing up this junk that was oddly reminiscent of badger milk off of The Animal (I still gag just thinking about that stuff) when I heard a sizzle. It wasn't a happy sizzle. It was a bad sizzle. It was the sound of my coconut burning. Apparently I used sweetened coconut instead of unsweetened and it burns alot faster. So it totally skipped the toasted stage and went right to the inedible stage.
That was it. I put the badger milk - I mean, coconut milk - in a tupperware container, picked up the phone and called Matt, asking him to bring home a loaf of nice bread and a salad from the deli on his way home. Great eh?
Well, my house still stinks but I dare not try boiling vanilla on the stove since we all know my luck today with burning things and I've smelled when vanilla boils dry and burns... it's right up there with burned rice.
Oh yah, and the balsamic reduction? Not happening either. I didn't have anywhere near enough balsamic vinegar in the house and I didn't have a chance to run to the store today. Although, it's probably for the best because I would've likely burned that too - and that stuff's expensive!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!