Monday, April 26, 2010

Anniversary

Happy anniversary to me! Two years ago today I married the man of my dreams :) It was an amazing day. We got married in the mountains out by Canmore. At 2:00 p.m. I started the 2.5 minute long aisle walk from the door of my chalet, down a rocky staircase with mounds of snow on either side, and up into the lodge. We took pictures in a park by the river with the Three Sisters in the background and then came back to the lodge for an amazing dinner of roast beef and lemon-mint chicken. My cousin made the cake which was huge and gorgeous, my bridesmaids and I made the bouquets and my friend Mike sang for us. We actually had quite the soundtrack for our wedding. The boys walked into Pachelbel's Canon D as played by Trace Bundy, an amazing guitarist with a very unique style. The bridesmaids walked into the song Butterfly by the Finnish group Rajaton - amazing song! I came in to the song "Your Hands are Cold" by Dario Marianelli from the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack. If you've seen the movie it's the song that's playing as Mr. Darcy is walking across the misty field coming to tell Elizabeth that he still loves her. It has this gorgeous swell filled with string instruments at 2 minutes and 11 seconds into the song and somehow, even though I couldn't hear the music since most of my walk as outdoors, I came into the lodge at the head of the aisle just as the music swelled. I think it as God's wedding present to me :)
Back to the song list - the song for our signing was The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face as performed by Johnny Cash. Then the recessional was Would You Go With Me by Josh Turner. I really wanted that song in the wedding - the words are so perfect:
If I gave you my hand ould you take it
And make me the happiest man in the world
If I told you my heart couldn't beat one more minute without you, girl
Would you accompany me to the edge of the sea
Let me know if you're really a dream
I love you so, so would you go with me?
I fell in love with that song the first year Matt and I were dating and it still made me giddy every time I heard it a couple years later. The last song of note was our first dance which was All I Ever Wanted by Brian Melo - again a perfect song lyrically:
Slow down make it last
I'm having the time of my life
So take a photograph
I don't want to leave this behind
What seemed so out of reach
We're holding it right in our hands
Let's give up everything
Let's jump in and never look back
It was such a beautiful day! Sure there were some things that didn't go as planned and our feet were sore and the poor boys necks were raw from the stiff collars in their shirts, and sure I made a poorly timed joke that ended up getting around at our church, but when the day was over I was married to my best friend and we could look back fondly on the day without having had anything crazy happen.
Matt unexpectedly got today off when his job fell through until tomorrow and that was a very welcome anniversary present! We got some painting done instead of cleaning the basement, so our bench seat just needs to dry overnight and then we can put the lids on and it's done! Then Matt and I went out and checked out the fish tank in the Peds unit at the hospital that we are assuming care of. Once a month we'll go in and clean the tank and we'll provide the fish - mostly cheap feeder goldfish but also any excess guppies from our tank. Which, we can donate one of our males for sure. We went to pick some stuff up for the hospital tank at Petsmart and I was showing Gabe the guppies and I saw a beautiful red male with black spots and shark-like fins. He was so pretty! So we bought him for Gabe's birthday present!
Well, in an hour or so Matt and I are going for a quick dinner before Auxano. Maybe I should go make myself look pretty for him!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!