Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bad night.

First off, I've got a story about why my head hurts so much this morning. Last night, I had a dream about Friends - more specifically about Chandler dancing - when I woke up from that dream and heard someone rustling papers downstairs. Matt heard it too and all he could say was "no way..." Gabe was in bed with us because I had pulled him in to feed him about an hour before. I was freaking out and didn't know what to do. I told Matt to do something, or say something but he was just frozen. All he could say was "get out" and he could barely say it louder than a whisper. I started panicing even more so I yelled "get out" and the person downstairs yelled back "Kevin." Not as in "Kevin, let's get out of here!" but as in, "Hi, my name is Kevin." This freaked me out even more because it meant he wasn't planning on just leaving - so this time I just screamed "GET OUT!" ...and then I really woke up this time. Oh, and I woke Matt and Gabe up too. After I stopped hyperventilating I asked Matt, who was by this time really worried about me, to go check and see if anyone was in the house. I knew they weren't but I also knew I wouldn't get back to sleep until he went and checked. I put Gabe down in his crib (I really did have him with me) and then got back to bed the same time Matt finished checking the house - and there wasn't anyone in it, named Kevin or not. Man, I felt like an idiot! I started playing through in my head all the details of my dream that should have tipped me off that it was a dream. For example, there are no papers on our main floor that people could just flip through, the bedroom in my dream was taller and narrower than ours actually is and our bed was higher in my dream. But they were small enough details and dream Matt was agreeing with me about someone being in the house, so it was enough to really scare me at the time. Never mind the fact that Matt and I both check the deadbolts on our door every night, that our dog barks at the slightest sound in the night and that I can hear my baby breathing in the next room so how on earth is someone supposed to get in our squeeky front door without me hearing??? Well, that was 4:30 a.m. At 5:30 a.m. I was still awake. I figured I should probably just get up but I decided that I'd try a little bit longer to get back to sleep - I should've just got up. I did fall asleep but I was so exhausted that it wasn't good sleep. It was the type of sleep that no matter how long it goes on for you actually feel worse after than before. So now my eyes are dry, my head hurts and my kitchen isn't clean - which is what I planned to do if I had gotten up at 5:30 this morning.
Well, enough about stupid dreams and bad sleeps. Let me tell you about the fun that was last night! At some point yesterday afternoon I was sitting in one of my wingback chairs next to the fishtank and I just happened to look over and saw one of my guppies give birth! It was crazy! So I ran and grabbed a net and started catching babies. I caught a couple and then I left the net in the tank and went to get dinner started. Matt came in shortly after and recognized what the net in the tank meant and kindly informed me that there were two more babies in my net waiting for me to put them in the hatchery. It turns out the female decided the net was a safe place to have babies so she'd swim into it, pop a few out and then swim back out. Well, we had 14 babies before this - 6 bigger ones and 8 fairly new ones. Yesterday we caught 15 brand new babies. And there's still some in the tank, not to mention two more females who will probably have their babies today or tomorrow. Oh yah, and I got to see the female give birth 3 or 4 times more. It was pretty sweet.
I had my meeting last night with the rental company too. It sucked having to drive out in the pouring rain to get to the meeting, but at least it was at a Starbucks so I could drink coffee the whole meeting. The meeting went well and my clients will get a wicked awesome discount if they book through her. On my way home I noticed that some parts of the road looked more wet than others. I realized that one of the lanes was completely flooded and that the snow was getting heavier. Stupid snow. I was fine with the rain - really. I even like rainy days. No one likes a snowy day at the end of April.
Well, today I am finishing up the majority of my cleaning and doing some grocery shopping. Tomorrow I'll be doing all of my chopping in advance to make things as speedy as possible for Saturday.
I will post that recipe for the Black Bean and Corn Salsa that my sister made for my mom's tea party. It was so good that I'm making it for the baby dedication. I hate black beans and red onion and I loved this so if you don't think you'll like it, make it for someone else's party and taste a bit while you're there. It's amazing.
Black bean and corn salsa:
19 oz can black beans, rinsed
1 c kernel corn
1 avocado, diced
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1/3 c finely chopped red onion
1/3 c chopped cilantro
1/4 c fresh lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
2 to 3 tsp jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 tsp salt

If you are making ahead, don't chop and add the avocado until just before or else it will brown. Just toss all the ingredients together (except, I hate cilantro so I'll be leaving that out of mine!)
Well, I hope you all are feeling better than I am today and that the snow melts quickly for all of our sakes.

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!