Friday, June 25, 2010

Waldorf Salad

What a fun day! I've got to admit, it was fairly boring to begin... I cleaned some, fed Gabe ALOT of food and gave him a bath - at which time I got completely drenched. I finally got an email back from that realtor about the second cafe and it is located in town. However, that's all he would tell me until I sign a bunch of forms. Mostly it's just confidentiality stuff and general information but it turns out that he wants to be both the buying and selling realtor if the deal works. I don't even know how that would work legally... So, instead of filling out those forms I am going to call our normal realtor - the guy we used to buy our house. He's an awesome guy, goes to our church and is totally straight up. He pointed out a crack in the foundation of one house, talked us out of a more expensive house and found us a house for the same price as the first one but without the crack in the foundation. So, we totally trust him, whereas this other realtor we don't know at all and we're kinda getting weird vibes from him. Therefore, as of Monday we will be dealing solely through our own realtor. Oh, and I think I know which cafe it is, but it's a total assumption. If I am right, however, it would be an awesome location and the building is fairly new and in really good condition. I can't help but do menu planning and I have ideas for a whole bunch of fun things for the place including original artwork from friends of mine and I can hand out business cards for them too. Oh, and I could finally sell my syrups. I'd have complete access to a licensed, commercial kitchen. It would be sweet.
Anyway, Onwards and upwards. After that Matt phoned to tell me how much he loves his job and won't be changing it any time soon, which is always a nice conversation to have. I love hearing that what my husband has to do 9 or 10 hours a day, 5 days a week is actually enjoyable for him as well as a good way of paying the bills.
During that conversation Matt let me know that he wanted a summery-type meal for dinner. I was just bracing myself to go to the grocery store when Matt's sister called from Edmonton to say that they were driving in to town to have dinner with us and then driving back tonight! So, Gabe and I ran to the grocery store, where I picked up the groceries I needed for the shower tomorrow as well as stuff for dinner. We ended up having Waldorf Chicken Salad Croissants and pretzels and lots of fun, summery drinks. I'll post that recipe for the Waldorf Salad at the bottom of this blog post because it really is fantastic. And it's perfectly summery :) Matt loved it!
Well, tomorrow morning I'm packing Gabe up, filling up on gas and coffee and hitting the road. As soon as I get to Calgary I'll stack the fruit pyramids and get the Italian Soda station ready. About an hour before the party I'll start making the crostini and then topping them: honey-mustard sauce (which I prepared tonight), lettuce, ham, tomatoes and cheese. Yummy! Once the shower is done I'll be packing right up and driving home to spend the evening with my husband. We've had a pretty busy week so we haven't even had an evening at home really since Saturday.
Well, that's about all that I can post about today. I really want to post all my ideas for my cafe, but in the business world that's a really dumb move! So I'll settle for posting that Waldorf Salad recipe!
Waldorf Chicken Salad:
3 chicken breasts, cubed and cooked
1/2 golden delicious apple, cubed
1/2 c. grapes, chopped small
1 stalk celery, chopped small
1/4 c. mayo
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Mix altogether and serve cold on a buttered croissant with lettuce!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!