Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cocktail Party Final

Well, my party is over and I am exhausted from cleaning and cooking all day, however, I felt the need to blog while the details were still fresh in my head. The finalized menu for the party was Watermelon, Mint and Feta cubes, Chips and Salsa, Strawberry Rhubarb pie, Affogato, Rum Soaked Peach Phyllo cups, Phyllo Antojitos, Cucumber and Mango Maki, Mee Krob, Corn bread with Sweet Pepper Jelly, Cheese and Bread and Lychee Martinis. The Margarita Soaked Watermelon slices was a no go simply because it would've been too much alcohol with not enough food. The Maki rolls were lacking avocado because my avocado didn't ripen in time. The peach phyllo cups happened because I had planned on making the ricotta and cream cheese mix that I normally do but my ricotta was past its prime. So I cut up the peaches anyway and soaked them in aged rum and coated them with nutmeg and cinnamon, put them in the phyllo cups and brushed them with butter before I sprinkled sugar over them. I was debating whether I should put whipped cream or cream cheese on top and then I tasted one and decided they were perfect as is! The Mee Krob was fun to make. Apparently when you deep fry Rice Vermicelli noodles the puff up into little styrofoam-esque pieces. The Antojitos were the highlight of my evening I think. My sister really wanted me to make these so I had to figure out a recipe. At first I proposed mixing taco seasoning into cream cheese but she said that it wasn't a taco taste she was looking for as much as a spicy, tex-mex taste. So I improvised completely. I whipped the cream cheese before I added cumin and chili powder. I kept adding and tasting but it probably worked out to be 6 ounces of cream cheese, 1 tbsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder. Then I added 3 minced jalapenos and stirred it all together. I layered four strips of buttered phyllo on top of eachother and then cut the layered piece into two. I put on the cream cheese mix, then some red onion, red peppers and a bit of cheddar. I folded the phyllo in half so it made a little pocket and baked them at 375 for 10 minutes. They were absolutely perfect.
The Lychee Martinis were my sister's concoction. 1 Shot Orchid Lychee liquer, 1 shot pineapple juice, 1 tbsp lychee syrup from can, three cubes ice and 1 lychee. Those were a really big hit too. I'm having one right now actually!
Well, I'm really tired and I have to be at the church at 7:30 tomorrow so I'd best get to sleep now!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!