Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wookie the Chew

Well, I caught a cold. Stupid me. Three days before our camping trip with Auxano and I'm popping cold medicine like candy. My head is killing me, my nose is raw and my 'n's come out as 'b's. Unfortunately I don't exactly have time to just stay in bed. I would have loved to, but Gabe woke up at 7:30 today so I didn't even get a chance to sleep in. After a load of phone calls and figuring details out this morning I finally got out grocery shopping. It was our first trip for more than just essentials in a few weeks so it took a while. Fortunately Gabe is at this really fun stage where he says 'hi!' to everyone who walks by until they say 'hi' back, so he was sufficiently entertained the whole while. I picked up a nice pork loin at the store for tonight's dinner. Very little food is as comforting as pork loin when you have a cold. At very least it smells amazing so it makes me feel better that way. I have to pause to say what a monkey my little boy has been lately. He just climbed on top of his exersaucer from the ground and had both feet off the ground before we noticed. He's been climbing on top of everything lately and he's been getting quite cheeky!
Anyway, at some point today a friend posted a link on Facebook that I thought was worth checking out - and it so was! It was the website for artist James Hance and, more specifically, the link lead to his comic melding of Star Wars and Winnie the Pooh; a series of drawings featuring Wookie the Chew. My goodness they are fantastic! We are going to be ordering some and using them to decorate Gabe's room. They are the ultimate little boy pictures in my opinion. A bit more of description of them will, perhaps, help. James Hance takes some of the original Winnie the Pooh illustrations and modifies them with Star Wars characters. Christopher Robin is dressed like Han Solo and has dark hair, piglet is portrayed by R2-D2 and Eeyore is depicted as a very mopey looking AT-AT. The website is http://jameshance.com/comics.HTML. I highly recommend you check it out.
I perfected our menu for our latest camping trip today. It includes my camping staples: perogies, bannock, pie irons, etc. But we will have awesome breakfasts of bacon, eggs, sausages, pancakes and cinnamon buns, and for lunch on the third day we're having tune melt sandwiches with sun dried tomatoes and fire roasted peppers. I am particularly excited for those.
I still have lots to do before we go camping including baking cookies and cinnamon buns, and repacking all the camping gear. I also wanted to brush up on my guitar and learn a few timeless hits for around the campfire. We'll see though :)
Anyway, my husband is watching ski videos and my baby is still awake so I'd best attend to both of those!
Oh, and the pork roast was amazing, coupled with mashed potatoes and steamed cauliflower with cheese sauce!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!