Monday, August 16, 2010

Sanding and Painting

It was brought to my attention that I failed to indicate what an affogato was on my blog post yesterday, so, before I officially start today's post, allow me to specify: an affogato is a shot espresso poured over a scoop of ice cream. It is wonderful.
Now on to the show.
Today was one of those days that felt more productive than it actually was due to the nature of the tasks I completed. I sat around most of the morning and cuddled my uber clingy baby and then after he had a nap and woke up from it I began to sand our banister going upstairs from our living room. We had decided against painting the banister and our built in china cabinet white originally because it matched our dining room set so well so we were going to leave it, but now that we are getting rid of old dining room set we've decided to paint them both white like our trim and baseboards. It will definitely make them look more modern, but I need to sand them before I actually get around to painting them. I decided randomly to get started today. Once I got about half way done the banister and my arm felt as though it was going to fall off I took Gabe outside for some splash time in his pool. Then I came in and did some laundry and baked some Chocolate Zucchini muffins. I'm not thrilled with the recipe though... They taste too loafy and not chocolatey enough. Matt however loves them so he'll eat them up and I can try again in a few days. For dinner I made linguini Alfredo with steak strips and sun dried tomatoes and I plated it so that it looked fantastic. I even added a sprig of lemon basil on top!
We had Auxano tonight which was sweet and after hanging around and talking with a bunch of people at the end we went over to some friends' house for a quick visit and some home made root beer!
It was a good day overall but I'm already looking forward to the productivity of tomorrow. In the morning I'm hoping to finish sanding the banister and the china cabinet and then in the afternoon I'm going downtown to pick up some coffees and if the weather is good I'll be taking Gabe to a splash park. If I have time in the afternoon I'm going to paint and then in the evening I have my training for the church cafe where I'll be finalizing the new drinks menu for September.
I'm also thinking of taking up a new hobby: refinishing furniture. Old tables and desks need only a little elbow grease and paint to look like new shabby-chic creations and I've always wanted to do stuff like that, so maybe I'll convince Matt to let me use the newly freed up so ace in the garage for a new hobby. My hobbies already take up the majority of the house: the crawl space is full of my decorations, the basement is packed with my crafts and the kitchen is overflowing with fancy dishes and pots and pans. He just may be persuaded though!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!