Monday, July 12, 2010

Cafe Manager

Well, the weekend is over and it didn't end a bit too soon. It was an awesome, fantastic weekend, but I am bagged. Matt's sister and her husband came down from Edmonton and stayed at our place (in our new guestroom!). We were all together to celebrate Matt's Grandparents' 50th anniversary so we had a couple dinners for that and saw alot of family. Saturday morning I got up early and made breakfast for everyone - french toast, scrambled eggs and back bacon. Then we went to get pictures taken with the family but it was unfortunately rather crappy weather outside so we all got a little wet, albeit, some a bit more wet than others. The four of us (and Gabe) then went out for lunch, stopped by Matt's parents' place and then went home for some board games until we had to get back into our formal wear for the dinner that evening. After the dinner we came home and cracked open the wine and the cheese and man it was good! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I picked up a English Sticky Toffee cheese to try and it was better than I thought it would be. I knew it would be interesting but I was worried it would taste processed and overly sweet but the cheese itself was aged and fairly sharp so it worked really well with the cinnamon, the raisins and the caramelized sugar throughout it. The Cranberry cinnamon goat cheese was my favorite that evening though. That was really fantastic. Sunday we went to church and then over to Matt's parents' place for lunch and to watch the soccer game (stupid octopus was right). Then Matt and I skipped out and went home to have some time to ourselves before the weekend was over. We ended up washing the dog and mopping the floors thanks to two very dirty dogs who were left outside after it had rained. We locked them in our kitchen when we went out Saturday night so there was mud all up my walls, up the cupboards and all over the floor. But I cleaned it all up yesterday so it's all better now. My house is actually cleaner overall than it has ever been. Now that the office is cleaned out this is the first time that every room in my house has been useable. It's a nice change :)
This week will involve a little bit of tidying from the weekend, a bit of reorganizing my craft table, a trip to the midweek farmers market and visiting alot of people. Lots of Matt's family is still in town this week from the anniversary party so we want to get together with them before they go back to their respective homes.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention this before, but Matt and I are not getting a cafe right now. We priced out the costs of starting a cafe from the ground up and it actually worked out to be $15,000 less than the asking price for the other cafe we were looking at. And since there were lots of things we'd have wanted to change about the cafe we decided to just wait until we have some money saved up and then we'll start our own. In the meantime, however, I did volunteer to be the cafe manager at our church. They have a cafe that serves lattes and smoothies before and after services and they need someone to take care of the ordering, the scheduling and the training. So I threw my name out! I'm also planning on making lattes one Sunday a month there too.
Well, I'm feeling kinda blah today so I think I'm going to go make a cup of tea, cuddle up with Gabe and read the rest of Sense and Sensability today.

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!