Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bad Lemons

Well, we can add another fruit to the list of ones I can't eat while I am pregnant: lemons. And probably limes, just to be safe. When I was pregnant with Gabe I found out that I developed a prenatal allergy to apples and pears which has come back this pregnancy. What was new this time around was that I found out my stomach would not tolerate oranges. Now, at 16 weeks and when I ought to be full clear of morning sickness, I had three glasses of water today, each with lemon slices in them and my stomach protested - quite violently. It freaked out my poor husband who was mid-conversation with my when I all of a sudden jumped off the couch and ran upstairs to put my head in the toilet. In times like that, you're not really capable of answering the question, "Are you okay??"
Other than that, things are going well around here. I've scheduled my 18 week ultrasound for the 24th, I can feel the baby moving lots and lots even though I'm only at 16 weeks and I've been getting better at getting stuff done during the day. Tonight we're even having roast pork! What a lucky thing that I had a bottle of pear cider kicking around in the back of the fridge - when you're pregnant you don't really keep inventory of things like that. So in about half an hour my house will smell amazing and my husband will have the most complete home-cooked meal he's had in a few months for sure. I did have the foresight to cook a whole roast instead of a third of it like I normally do. This way, tomorrow night if I'm not feeling great I can just whip up something quick and easy using the leftover pork.
Matt and I have been working on getting more organized since the beginning of the month. January really is the time for something like that. I'm not one to set New Year's Resolutions simply because it's the new year, but the fact that millions of other people across North America are resolving to be more organized at this time, retailers have noticed and have wicked awesome deals on organizational supplies every January. We stock up on Rubbermaid containers and shoebox sized storage bins at this time. This week I'm going to be organizing all of my craft supplies into those bins and storing them in a wardrobe that the previous owners left in the crawl space when we moved in here. This past week I've been working on organizing my kitchen. The cafe I used to work at used a rubbermaid tower of drawers to store dry baking ingredients. Since I have so many different varieties of flours in my kitchen now that my kitchen cart is full and my all purpose flour and my granulated sugar still sit on the floor in bags, I decided to give the tower a try. The bottom two bins are bigger and hold my all purpose flour and white sugar. The next bin holds oats, the next has icing sugar and the top has little bags of bulk goods like sea salt, peppercorns and flax. I still have one bin left so I'll have to see what ends up in there, but using this system has freed up more space in my kitchen cart, in my cupboards and I have one more free counter-top canister that used to hold sugar and will shortly be used for something like rice, I'm sure.
I wish I could capture smells and post them like pictures on here. It's not even the prime point in the cooking process and already my roast smells fantastic! I used celery, onion and garlic as my edible roasting pan and the celery definitely adds to the overall aroma.
Well, I'd best be productive while I can - Gabe's bound to wake up soon!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!