Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ministry Fair Done!

It's over!!
The Ministry Fair is done!
What a fiasco today has been! Not only did I not sleep well last night, I woke up at 5 because Gabe lost his "boo" (soother) and then he took 45 minutes to fall asleep again and I was supposed to get up at 6 so I figured I'd just close my eyes for 15 minutes... and then I woke up an hour later. At 6:45. I was planning on being at the church at 7.
I rushed my little bum and got to the church by 7:30. I started making coffee and everything was going well considering I was a half an hour later than I had planned on being. And then I forgot to close the valve on a 50 cup coffee urn as it was filling... and it spilled all over the kitchen floor. It took me about 20 minutes to finish mopping up. Oh, and all the rolling kitchen carts were missing so I had to carry all the coffee urns across the church. They're heavy :(
I got all the coffee made and my booth all set up, made a latte for a very tired friend and then right as the Ministry Fair was starting I ran to the cafe to give some last minute pointers to my volunteers and ran back to meet everyone at my booth! Everyone loved the new Ugandan Relationship Coffee and they especially loved the biscotti. Unfortunately for me, we went through coffee at amazing rates. They ran out of coffee in the lobby before the break between first and second service was even half way done. I had to make Matt watch my booth while I ran and made even more coffee. Matt went to service then and I manned the booth myself until the second service ended and we got our second wave of people. Matt left shortly after and I was relieved of my duty at 1, at which point I packed up some stuff and got home to have some breakfast/lunch by 1:30. I ended up going back to the church by 4:30 since the Fair was supposed to restart by 5:30 and I needed to make all the coffee we set out in the church before then, but when I got there the door was locked and no one was around. I waited for 40 minutes outside. Lucky for me it was a nice day! At 5:10 someone opened up the door for me and I had 20 minutes to do what I had planned to take an hour to do. I managed - barely - and was at my booth in time to greet people and serve one of the helpers his 10th cup of coffee. Anyway, between meeting up with other volunteers, running the booth and all my other duties I stayed busy until it was time to pack up, which took me about an hour. I got home by 9 which was at least half an hour earlier than I thought I would.
My legs feel dead, I'm exhausted, my entire body aches, I barely ate anything all day and tomorrow isn't exactly a day off. But all in all, it was a good Ministry Fair. So, we'll say it was worth the pain :)
Tomorrow I've got a friend coming over and then Auxano kicks off.
I hope I'll sleep well tonight because I'll need to recover enough to walk tomorrow, which is looking doubtful right now.

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!