Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mid-week Weekend

My weekend has finally come! Not this weekend - last weekend. I was so busy on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday that there was no kidding myself that those were anywhere near days of rest. Friday - baking. Saturday - more baking, set-up and worship practice. Sunday - Ministry Fair. Monday - Auxano kickoff. Tuesday - lattes at the church and one awful meeting. Wednesday - sweet release!
So far this week has not, in general, been going the way I had hoped it would. Yesterday I was excited for a friend to come over, which didn't happen, and to get my new glasses, which didn't happen then either. Monday night rocked since it was the Auxano relaunch at its new location, but I killed my voice singing. Today I got up early and hoped to get lots done before Gabe woke up. Unfortunately, he got up early too. I did manage to make breakfast for Matt before he had to go to work but that was about it. We were at the church by 11:20 to make lattes for the staff and that was a little more hectic than usual. Lots of people kept coming up and asking me questions while I was trying to get set up so I wasn't as prepared as normal. AND I found a fly in a pot of hot water that a ministry group had just finished using and I was emptying for them. Sick. Anyway, I got my drinks made and my machine cleaned and then needed to wait around for an hour since I had a meeting at 2. Unfortunately, the meeting did not go at all the way I had planned it. It was supposed to be a planning session but it was more like a shoot down session for me. Everything I proposed was nixed by a party because of reasons ranging from "insurance claims", "we're not allowed to move those tables" and "I can't remember why, but you can't." By this time, Gabe was 4 hours past his usual nap time and was wandering aimlessly through the cafe while I tried to keep him reasonably corralled, to voice my opinion and to listen to all the decision making that I was really not a part of. It was frustrating to the extreme. I wanted to walk out but held my temper, and my tongue, and stuck it out. It was all I could do to wait until I got home to phone Matt and rant about how awful the meeting was. Oh, and Gabe finally got down for his nap at 4.
But all that is behind me now! Tomorrow I am determined to do as little as possible! Which will actually be quite easy since Matt has an evening meeting with dinner provided so I can eat whatever I feel like without worrying about anything too impressive. I'm hoping to go rent a cello tomorrow too! I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet, but I am determined to learn cello. It had always been a want of mine (always since I was 12 that is) and I had never done more than thought about it until a week ago. I was looking up barista training courses in Seattle and it turns out the ones that I would need to take to learn more than I already know cost upwards of $2000 for a weekend. I tried finding the Canadian equivilancy and it turns out, there aren't any. Well, not really. There is one in Calgary I could take but it has prerequisites which would be a waste of time and money for me. And I'm a bit worried that the only thing they would teach me that I didn't already know would be latte art - which, given enough time, coffee, milk and willing drinkers, I'm sure I could figure out on my own. That would cost about a grand to go through all the courses, not to mention a lot of time. So I'm at the top of what I can learn unless I have $2000 to shell out, not to mention flights and accomodations. Maybe someday, but not now. So, what does this have to do with the cello? That night I was watching The Big Bang Theory and Leonard was playing cello and it reminded me of how much I want to play the cello. So I decided I would. Not that I would think about it, or that I would someday do it, but that I would go out and rent a cello and learn. I called a local music shop the next day, found out that they rent cellos for $40 a month and have only held off on going and picking one up because I've been so incredibly busy. But I'm really going to do it finally! Yay!
Well, I'm going to start my weekend by going to bed in decent time. Being that it's almost midnight, I'm not doing hugely well, but it's a start!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!