Friday, November 12, 2010

Sprinkler System

What an odd couple of days I've had! Yesterday was, of course, Rememberance Day and every year I attend the ceremonies in town. My mom met up with me at my house and then we went down together. Of course, having to get there uber early to make sure we got seats meant that we had to sit in the unheated arena for an hour until things started. Why unheated, you may ask. Well, it becomes pretty apparent why when the poor cadets down on stage start dropping like flies from heat exhaustion despite the fact that it's both November and cold inside. Well anyway, at the ceremony we learned that Gabe really enjoys bagpipes and he especially loves clapping. He was the most enthusiastic one there! When I got home from the ceremonies I started planning for my sister and her husband to come and stay at our house this weekend (and their baby, and their dog). Since my house is still recovering from the stint I spent in Calgary when my Grandpa passed away I knew I was going to have to do a lot of cleaning. And since I hadn't bought groceries in a week I knew I was going to have to stock up. My sister's request for dinner was to have something that she wouldn't normally eat at my parents' place - where they normally stay when they come to town. I was torn between stuffed pork chops, stuffed manicotti or oven roasted ribs. I figured I'd wait until I was at the grocery store to decide. In the afternoon I heard what I could have swore was running water but could not for the life of me find the source of it. None of the appliances were running water, the hot water tank wasn't making any funny noises and the faucet on the one side of our house wasn't running. I even called Matt about it and told him what I was hearing and he suggested that maybe it was the chimney flap being blown about and sounding funny. I decided to try and forget about it and had a nap in the afternoon. When I woke up I could still hear the noise. This time I looked out into the backyard to see if I could see any water pooling, but nothing. I had to get Gabe ready for dinner at my parents' so I pushed it out of my mind until Matt got home. Matt hopped out of his truck and was coming inside when he took a detour to the far side of our house... at which point he spun around, ran inside and ran downstairs as fast as he could! Turns out our sprinkler line broke. It had been pumping water into our dog run all afternoon and I never thought to check that side of the house. So, the water was about 6 inches deep there and our water bill will probably be sky high this month :) I decided to put off grocery shopping until today and last night while I was lying in bed I wrote up my to do list for today: a trip to Zellers, buying groceries and a whoooooole lot of cleaning.
This morning when I got up the first thing I did was check my messages since the phone rang while I was still in bed. There was a message from my sister letting me know that they weren't going to be able to come on Saturday night. :( I was really sad about that but noticed it was snowing outside and thought that instead of feeling the need to get all my cleaning done today that maybe I could go Christmas Shopping. I started off going to Zellers where I had a list of things from their flyer that I needed to get, including a Christmas present for Matt. Well, turns out that Zellers, the morning that their new flyer deals come into effect, is the least organized place in the world. One of the things I needed to get they only had one of and it was opened with parts missing. A couple other things I couldn't even get to because of all the boxes and carts around. I ended up not buying a thing and Gabe was getting really fussy so that put a halt on any other plans to shop. I then hit the grocery store where I needed lots of staples and especially milk, as Gabe informed me of every two minutes. He barely let me unload the van at home before he was screaming for milk. So now, it's not snowing any more, I don't have company coming, Matt's working all weekend and today seems to be a bit of a flop. I do however have high hopes for tomorrow. I just got my Michaels flyer today so I'll head there tomorrow to stock up on some things I need to make Christmas gifts. I haven't been to HomeSense in a long time so I'll hit up there too and I'm determined to get at least some Christmas shopping done tomorrow.
Maybe I'll spend the rest of the day decorating for Christmas. I know it's a tad early, but it would so make me happy!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!